The Palais de Justice in Île de la Cité in Paris is a vast and majestic gothic structure.
The site of which was originally the home of governors of Ancient Rome.
As the current seat of the French judicial system,
The Palais de Justice serves a function which it has fulfilled in various guises since medieval times.
This began in earnest in April 1793, when the civil chamber or “Premier Chambre Civile” of the Palais de Justice became the home of the Revolutionary Tribunal.
This was the fearsome court of the French Revolution from which the Reign of Terror was systematically carried out.